Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Going to Meet the Boss

Everybody knew who he was.
We all knew where he lived.
He was a private kind of guy.
Had a big car.
A Lincoln.
Black.

One day, Cheese stops me on the sidewalk.
He was called Cheese because of his wierd smile.
He worked for you know who.
He says his boss wants to talk to me.
I am thinking that I don't know why.
I was not into anything.
Nothing at all.
Just a guy in the neighborhood.
But I was real curious.
So I said Ok.
Cheese said to stop by tomorrow at noon.

I went over there.
He liked to work out of an old house.
I rang the door bell.
Cheese answers the door.
The house was kind of dark inside.
Lots of curtains.
I was starting to regret my coming over.
Well I was there.
It was too late now.

We walked into the dining room.
He used it as his office.
He asked me to sit down at the table across from him.
Cheese walked out and shut the door.

He starts talking to me.
Just small talk.
Weather, sports and such.
Then he says that he has had his eye on me for awhile.

Now, I am beginning to feel a little squirmy.
There are a lot of stories about this guy.
But nothing sexual, if you know what I mean.
Well he clarifies things.
He says that I am an upright guy by reputation.
Whatever that means.
Maybe it means I have not been caught yet.

He then says that he called me in to thank me.
I said for what.
He says that I should know.
I said I don't know.

He says don't I remember last Saturday.
He says that I helped an old lady,
who had tripped on the sidewalk in front of the Safeway.
She was carrying a sack of groceries.
The paper sack had ripped open and stuff had spilled all over.
I had helped her pick up her groceries.
Then I carried it the two blocks to her house.
He says that lady was his godmother.

He says that I can come to him if I need something.
Just ask.
That's all.
I said I don't need anything right now.
But I will remember.

Cheese came in and walked me to the door.

I never got to collect on that debt.
I moved out of town for a few years.
When I got back I heard that Cheese and his boss left town one night and nobody knows nothing about what happened to them.

8 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

This a true story? Pretty cool.

10:15 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger Fred Garber said...

It is a combo of 2 true stories. Names changed of course.

10:45 PM, November 29, 2006  
Blogger MB said...

I like the way I can't tell where this is going to go. It's a neat story.

2:09 PM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger Fred Garber said...

Thanks! I am glad that you liked it.

2:51 PM, November 30, 2006  
Blogger Patry Francis said...

Maybe you did collect. It just didn't come from the expected source. Enjoyed this.

8:22 PM, December 03, 2006  
Blogger Fred Garber said...

You are right Patry....every debt gets repaid....we just don't always recognize it when it happens!

10:30 AM, December 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is one of my favorites so far...

1:07 PM, December 09, 2006  
Blogger Fred Garber said...

Thanks!!!!

6:29 PM, December 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home