Friday, August 18, 2006

If the Shoe Fits

Someone dear to me likes to walk in to second hand stores, try on the used shoes and when they find the perfect pair they put their old shoes on the rack and quietly walk away.....

Someone else walked out of the desert,
looked at the City,
left his old life behind in a dumpster,
slipped on his new identity
and quietly walked away....

A third guy,
some kind of saint,
use to walk down by the river,
and when he would see a fresh body floating by,
would crawl up inside of it
and quietly walk away.....

This last guy was hard on his bodies.
He had to do a trade every so often.
You might see him down by the big rivers.
I don't know what he looks like.
An everyman I guess.
An anyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Other than the one typo (use for used), this is a terrific piece. It's disturbing in just way I like!

9:28 AM, August 28, 2006  
Blogger Fred Garber said...

Thanks for the comment! I kind of like being disturbed now and then.

9:58 AM, August 28, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this poem, it reminds me of myself.

12:01 PM, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Fred Garber said...

Thanks Dee....are you the shoe person or one of the others?

12:28 PM, October 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home